Bonsai means tree in pot. Without the tree there is no bonsai. Without the pot there is no bonsai. The tree and pot work in harmony to provide the foundation of bonsai.
If the tree and pot are in conflict the overall flow of the piece is lost. If they are in harmony you’ve created true art. A good bonsai not only has a good pot; it has the right pot.
This page will grow with time. There is a vast amount of information available online regarding bonsai pots. To get an idea just do a google search for bonsai pot. Then click images. I hope you have a day or so available to look at all of the pictures that will be displayed. I will try to provide a “map of the stars” view of some of these sites.
- Eli Aiken – Waldo Street Pottery – A Club Member
- Mark Isenberg – Lookout Mountain Potter
- Ryan Bell’s Blog has information on pottery.
- Matching Pots to Trees
- Proportions When Matching Pot to Tree
- Artist Marks of Tokoname Bonsai Pots
- Ron Lang – Pot Construction & Style
- North American & South American Bonsai Pot Makers
- Info on Tokoname Pots
- Bonsai Pottery in Yixing Region of China – Purple clay, but not purple pots!
- How to make your own bonsai pottery – for the ambitious!